View Single Post
Old 8th August 2010, 06:04 AM   #13
BigG

Default The Peninsula Malay Perspective

From what I have seen of samples in the hands of M'sian & S'porean collectors & based on my discussion wth pthers here, there is a lcear distinction of a Tombak (Spear) and a Lembing (Javelin) amongst the malays ofthe peninsula & perhaps in Sumatra too. Where such distinctions may not be apparent from the Javanese perspectiv.

The Malay Tombak appears to be broader of blade. It may take the classic diamond pattern with an elongated tip or a more rectangular appearance at the mid section before it tapers to a sharp end. Lembing blades appear to be slimmer and has a more aerodynamic appearance. The blade generally do not conform to the diamond form found for the tombak. both may or may not have a spine...

The shaft of the tombak is also generally thicker, rigid and more substantial in appearnce. It has a more regular parallel appearance through out its length with metallic counterweights found at the butt end. The lembing shaft on the other hand are more slimmer. Its construction tapering towards the but end... some what like a very slim n elongated coke bottle... Unlike a tombak shaft which are usually plane... the malay lembing shaft at times have very well crafted forms running throughout its length. Its shaft appears to be segmented and has fine standing lines carved around each segment. Lembing shaft doesnt appear to have any counter weight or if they do, this appears to be more like a decorative metallic sleeve at the butt...

I hope those wth samples that I have described wld show this egs as I have none of my own for a more easier visual reference.
BigG is offline   Reply With Quote