View Single Post
Old 28th December 2011, 10:15 PM   #16
RSWORD

Many thanks for the translation and information. It is indeed very helpful and provides some insight into this sword and perhaps who might have owned it. The sword is not new. The blade has been professionally polished which revealed a very nice pattern welded blade. Prior to that restoration, the blade had a fair bit of patina. The leather on the scabbard is old and it is missing its chape. The guard, backstrap and top scabbard mount are all wootz, not very likely in a new sword. While the majority of the ones you see are in poor condition, I would venture to say that presentation pieces like this one were held onto and preserved in much better condition. Perhaps the original owner had the means to preserve it. The person I acquired this from stated he had owned it for 30+ years and I have no reason to doubt them. In my experience of collecting these swords, including many Afghan pieces over the years, you find a wide, huge variety of condition. Everything from 200+ years old yet still pristine to 100 years old and beat to crap. Of course, I have the advantage of having the piece in hand to make many of those types of determinations and giving that I am confident it is not a newly made sword. I think it is exactly of the period suggested and most likely originally carried by a person of means. Also, keep in mind that presentation pieces were not mass produced. Much more effort and expense went into producing those, hence the better than average quality.

Given your ability to translate Farsi I have another piece that I believe is in Farsi. Would you mind having a look?
RSWORD is offline   Reply With Quote