View Single Post
Old 12th June 2005, 11:06 AM   #3
Henk

Tom,

Any input is welcome. It is hard to see if it is forged. I cann't discover any signs of forging. The ferule shows spurs of filework. The blade is patinated and used and very sharp. I wouldn't like to get a blow with it. It is a very heavy thing. About the wood I have no idea. It has a nice grain. The pics show the wood just as it is. The wood is placed into the ferule and probaly, if there is a tang, it is mounted like an axe.

I bought it on an estate. I saw it and had something like, it is heavy and looks good and old. Not to expensive, so a nice object to examine. The shape was a bit kudi like. So my first idea was Asian. Also a bit the grain of the wood did give me that idea. When I buy something like that I have two books that I consider as the books that might give an answer. Stone and Van Zonneveld. In the book by Van Zonneveld I found drawings of weapons with a similar shape of the blade. The Telabuna came mostly in that direction, so that is my thought about Asia, Java.

However, I do agree with you that the ferule doesn't look Asiatic. Your european thought isn't such an odd one after all.

Well Tom, lets wait if anybody can tell us what it is.
Henk is offline   Reply With Quote