View Single Post
Old 21st January 2017, 08:39 PM   #11
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

And the replies to Ron's questions by Amuk.

--------------------------------

Hullo Ron,
Quote: Originally Posted by ruiter58 - You have Hembrug klewangs in your collection and you have the year of manufacture. I have 6 Hembrug klewangs and I wondered how to determine their year of manufacture. For instance, I have a Hembrug M1911, marked with an "H" under a crown and has a brass plate on the basket stating P.A.N. 1499. The crown/H indicates inspector J.C.Harnas but I have no idea when this mark was used. I also found that the brass plate indicates it's use on Moerdara after 1931 by the Police forces. Is it possible to find out the year or period of manufacture?
- P.A.N. = West & East- Madoera
1499 = Weapon number
You have to be sure the stamp belongs to the right person. Look closely at the type of crown and the font. There were many inspectors who had the same initial in their surname; there were at least two HARNASes; A.G and J.C.H. Once the right person has been determined, find find out when they were likely to have stamped the item. Any kalewang produced in HEMBRUG is unlikely to have been produced prior to 1912 and even then, only in insignificant ‘test’ numbers, as they didn’t have the capability. Other clues could be other signs/markings on the kalewang or sheath. Remember that 1931 was only when the directive was issued regarding the brass plates. In actual fact, many items prior to this were subsequently marked in compliance.
Quote: Originally Posted by ruiter58 - How do I recognize a Lilley-Ames klewang? Or is the klewang similar to the Vince but without the Vince mark? The one with the bakelite scales I know as the M1940 (based on the "Klewang" book)
- Lilley-Ames: similar to M1911, but no stamp on blade, sharp clip-point, blue blade, bakelite machete-handle ( I’ve haven't seen one with wooden scales), ‘uneven’ shaving/sharpening of cutting-edge. ( Unlikely to have been produced at ACW-Bdg, as they had no such facility other than to assemble/repair. )
Quote: Originally Posted by ruiter58 - In fig 9, the pre-regulation Klewangs, you refer to the top one as Kalewang Djago ( De Haan ) 1875. Where does the "de Haan" come from? "Haan" is the Dutch word for "Rooster" and, according to the book "Klewang", de "Haan(-tjes)" klewang is the oldest type of klewang. Are there any marks on this Klewang?
- If you go to the info again, you will see why items nos.1 & 3 shared the same nickname. These item were purchased privately by soldiers as part of their field equipment ( as, in many cases, issued items were deemed inappropriate/impractical when one’s life depended on it ).

Bottom line is: confidence and faith in one’s ‘best’ guesstimation and be prepared to be wrong.

Best,
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote