View Single Post
Old 21st January 2017, 08:38 PM   #10
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

An important question from Ron de Ruiter on the previous thread:

--------------------------------

Hello Amuk Murugul,

Thanks for showing these klewangs (or Kelewangs) and the information. I collect klewangs for several years now and still I do not have all the inormation I would like to have. The book "Klewang" is very helpfull but is focussed on the museum collection. The book is not intended to be used to find out when or where your klewang is manufactured.

So, if you don't mind, I have a lot of questions.

- You have Hembrug klewangs in your collection and you have the year of manufacture. I have 6 Hembrug klewangs and I wondered how to determine their year of manufacture. For instance, I have a Hembrug M1911, marked with an "H" under a crown and has a brass plate on the basket stating P.A.N. 1499. The crown/H indicates inspector J.C.Harnas but I have no idea when this mark was used. I also found that the brass plate indicates it's use on Moerdara after 1931 by the Police forces. Is it possible to find out the year or period of manufacture?

- How do I recognize a Lilley-Ames klewang? Or is the klewang similar to the Vince but without the Vince mark? The one with the bakelite scales I know as the M1940 (based on the "Klewang" book)

- In fig 9, the pre-regulation Klewangs, you refer to the top one as Kalewang Djago ( De Haan ) 1875. Where does the "de Haan" come from? "Haan" is the Dutch word for "Rooster" and, according to the book "Klewang", de "Haan(-tjes)" klewang is the oldest type of klewang. Are there any marks on this Klewang?

Thanks and once again, nice collection!

Kind regards,
Ron de Ruiter
Netherlands

Last edited by Ian; 24th January 2017 at 02:14 AM.
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote