View Single Post
Old 28th August 2013, 06:50 PM   #30
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard G
Thank you Mahratt and Jim,
I agree, as no examples of the short sabre have surfaced that can definitely be attributed to jurisdictions other than Afghanistan, it seems sensible to regard them all as Afghan; and as Mahratt postulates, derived from the Khyber knife.
However I have another question. Who were these issued to? They are obviously too short for cavalry and presumably already obsolete for regular infantry use by the end of the 19th century. In Europe or India it would be assumed they were for artillery or police or similar paramilitaries that used a cutlass rather than a sword.
Regards
Richard

Excellent observations Richard, and it truly is a bit of a mystery who exactly used these stoutly bladed short swords (it seems the blades average about 26 " in length). As you well note these are far too short for cavalry and the infantry as usual would not carry swords.

It seems that most of the structured military developed with Emir Abdul Rahman Khan in 1880, and as he was following European plans with British support it does seem that the incorporation of tribal levys and paramilitary units certainly were emplaced. The great illustration Dmitry posted in the previous post clearly shows a uniformed individual with traditional khyber.

When I acquired one of these 'regulation' military swords many years ago, the story with it was that it was apparantly used by royal bodyguards or some special unit in such capacity. It would seem quite possible that might be an explanation for the shorter heavy blades (indeed often paralleling a 'cutlass' in its close quarters purpose).

My question is just when were these hilts introduced? and where produced?
We know that Saoud Shah was wearing a sword with remarkably similar hilt at the Treat of Gandamak in May, 1879, suggesting the hilt form present by then. The fact that he was commander in chief of Afghan government forces at the time, further suggesting indeed use of these at somewhat higher station.

An example sold by Oriental Arms notes in its description of the typically seen 'regulation' type hilt and heavy, deeply fullered Afghan military sword, that it was of an '1889' issue. Was this an official order? Is there any source for that particular date?
We know most of the examples of these 'regulation' swords date from 1893 to 1903 (mine is 1896). If this was 1889 order, why were none seen until 1893, and where did the hilts that are seen with the Daoud Shah sword come from?

These are the primary questions in my mind at this point.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote