View Single Post
Old 10th October 2012, 11:49 AM   #46
fernando
Lead Moderator European Armoury

Great knowledge, Prasanna !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prasanna Weerakkody
... The possibility of the name Kasthana being influenced by the Portuguese is real as it is a word that does not seem to have a direct meaning in Sinhala or have too many similar words to accompany it...
I too have heard about the 'uniqueness' of the term, but am not studious enough to go deep into it, neither i recall the source i have read about it; so i preferred to attribute it some reserve.

Quote:
Curiously the only other similar term that (comes to my mind) that may also shed a little light on this is the “Patisthana” spears; being of the same class as the Partisans..
Yes, specialy if you consider that the term in portuguese is Partasana.

Quote:
... It is known that the Sinhala elite of the era was quite conversant with Portuguese and the use of the language had become wide spread and stylish as a secondary language in the Country. even today there is a rather large number of words of Portuguese origin amalgamated within the Sinhala language.
Amazing ... and so familiar to what i have learnt of other places that were approached by Portuguese during that period, like in Malaca (Melaka), where the elders of a local comunity still dominate several words and expressions and in Japan, where a significant number of words were adopted and are still active in their vocabulary.

Last edited by fernando; 12th October 2012 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Partasana spell
fernando is offline   Reply With Quote