View Single Post
Old 25th July 2015, 08:03 PM   #2
Ian
Vikingsword Staff

Ward:

Great topic. Thanks for starting this off. I think it has more than Ethnographic interest so I'm going to send it over to the Miscellania Forum where our colleagues from the European and Keris Warang Kopi forums are likely to pick it up as well.

Ian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
I classify tourist pieces as items that are specifically made for display, not functional, and generally poor quality, or straight fakes.

Origin of a piece is often a problem because so many pieces have parts made in various locations. So I use the form of the weapon as a general rule. Even using terms like ottoman empire or Chinese are pretty vague. Both of the cultures expanded and contracted there holdings over time. They also sent artist, craftsman, and weapons out to other areas.

Age of a item is another issue. I have a family shotgun that was used in the American revolution, then years later changed over to percussion by a local black smith and used in the war of northern aggression, then the stock was falling apart so my grandfather carved a new one out of apple wood and used it during the depression. So how do I date it ? Except for the barrel that has been modified over the years and a few pieces of the furniture I would be hard pressed to call this piece 18th century or the original English origin.

What are your thoughts on these subjects?
Ian is offline   Reply With Quote