View Single Post
Old 16th August 2006, 03:58 AM   #16
Alam Shah

Default reply...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
I'm also not sure about the wrangka - those necessary new/restored fittings were my main reason to give it to Singapore were finding suitable good quality fittings is so much easier than in Europe or the US. I couldn't identify the utilized wood, too. ?
Lol... Good call to 'give' it to Singapore. I'll update once I've got the piece the way I wanted it to look. May take sometime, though. Imo, the wood looks like stained 'young' kemuning wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
BTW, what was traditionally used to stain wood if deemed preferable?
In Sumatra, 'sapan' or dark-stained finish were desire-able, but personally, I think it's a way to 'hide' low quality wood and to make it more resistable to the elements. The better ones tend to display its natural wood grains, but as always, there's no hard and fast rules here. Anything goes... a matter of personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kai
I believe this blade looks better (best?) in Minang Kabau fittings and would love to see pics of the completed piece. Go for it and win next years Keris Competition with it, Alam Shah!
I tend to agree, I'll stick to Minangkabau fittings, if the origin could not be decided or if we cannot come to a consensus... As for the competition, lol... I don't have any intention of submitting this, with what I've seen others are acquiring.

Last edited by Alam Shah; 17th August 2006 at 01:28 AM.
Alam Shah is offline   Reply With Quote