View Single Post
Old 28th January 2014, 06:59 PM   #3
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

In the absence of other replies, I will add additional notes as I research further here. It is difficult to properly guage a weapon without having it in hand, but the general appearance of this sword does bring to mind some more recent examples of such classic forms in these kinds of dress.

Also, in recent observations I would submit an entirely different suggestion. I have seen certain Caucasian swords, I believe Georgian, with similar hilt profile with very heavy grip shape, and the silverwork reminds me of some of these hilts, even some Khevsur examples come to mind. The interesting profiled beadwork as well as the langet with corresponding scabbard throat receiver are similar in some respects. As previously noted, I have been unable to locate any matching hilts in Eastern European references, but these influences along with others certainly had considerable traction in the Caucusus in the 19th century and later.

Many of these Caucasian swords are also somewhat recently produced, though extremely well done examples.
I hope others will add their thoughts to this possibility.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote