View Single Post
Old 7th December 2010, 08:16 PM   #42
Sajen

By my last visit in Makassar a few years ago I get a invitation from a a local parliamentarian in his house to view his antique collection. At last he show me his keris. I have said that it is a Gowa keris but he byself labeled it as Toraja keris. It was an piece from high quality, sheath and hilt was covered from 18 carat gold panel sheet (declaration from him, of course unproved but believable). Proud he told me that he have carried it by his wedding and that he still wear it by formal occasions. Unfortunately I wasn't able to take pictures since I have had my camera forgotten in my hotel.
Honestly I can't add any information if there is a keris culture in Toraja.
To this time I have had a look in several antique shops in Makassar and have seen some Bugis keris. The prices have been horrible high, much more than for example on Bali. But I havn't seen not one Gowa/Toraja keris, neither such ones for tourists nor genuine ones.

Regarding the question what make a keris a "wedding" keris I think that Alan give a sufficient answer in post #38. Let me add that I have seen when a cousin of my wife get married on Java her husband hired a keris for their ceremony. On Bali, nine years ago I have seen a very nice old Bali keris in Klungkung offered in a antique shop and when I come back one or two days later to buy it the owner told me that he have conferred it for a wedding ceremony. I am aware that the term "wedding keris" may be a western concept and this term is often to read by auction houses, special regarding Bali keris in magnificent dress.

I am like Jean still believe that the keris from Marco is a genuine keris with some age with of course lower quality and it's function has been to be part of a ceremonial dress, for example a wedding, but this is my personal "feeling/impression".

Sincerely,

Detlef

Last edited by Sajen; 7th December 2010 at 10:14 PM.
Sajen is online now   Reply With Quote