Thread: Beja Shield
View Single Post
Old 23rd February 2021, 05:51 PM   #8
shayde78

Thanks for the picture, Kabur.
To me, the idea of a rest/guide for the spear makes a LOT of sense. I don't know anything about the fighting styles of the Beja, but if they fought in any kind of formation, such a shield design would allow a thrust to be delivered with the spear without disrupting a shield wall. This can be done without such a cutout, but this divot in the shield would allow greater control and precision in the thrust. This is the same reason a thrust using two hands would let the leading hand serve as a guide, while the thrust was delivered by the trailing hand. The problem with this two handed thrust is that it would expose the body as any shield would be moved to the side (or the soldier wouldn't even have the shield as it would serve as more of an encumbrance). Look through some of the European pikeman drilling manuals of the 1600-1700s (I forget the dates, actually) and you'll see what I mean. If this is indeed the purpose of these cutouts, the Beja have a rather elegant solution to this problem. Makes a lot of sense if you aren't wearing an iron breastplate like the European pikemen would have had.
shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote