View Single Post
Old 7th May 2006, 08:09 PM   #11
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Hi Manolo,
Actually when I referred to Sudanic influences, I meant from the east (I edited the post accordingly my sense of direction always gets me lost!
Interesting note on the superstitions on iron extending to the Maasai, which I am not certain of as you ask. It does seem possible as these people's ancestry is actually Nilotic and perhaps certain elements of the folk religion do extend from there. I think the perception of blacksmiths throughout many, if not most, cultures, maintains certain distrust and exclusive concerns toward these individuals due to the extremely arcane nature of thier work.
Since most folk religion is followed nominally as diffused through nomadic tribes and groups, it would be difficult to say to what degree certain applications of specific beliefs or superstitions prevail.

It does seem that the occult properties of certain metals are somewhat observed in the construction of weapon elements, primarily that iron and steel associate with death and negativity, while copper and brass represent life and fertility. Perhaps the presence of brass or copper simply counteracts the properties of the white metal, not necessarily meaning it cannot be touched literally. As noted, the degree of application is unclear. With the Maasai, I have seen illustrations of warriors holding thier spears by the long steel blades, so this may indicate the superstition not necessarily consistant.

With the rounded blades, again, I am wondering if this might simply be a traditional following of style not necessarily addressing practical application. It seems that most thrusting was confined to spears in native warfare, while the sword was used in close combat for hitting and slashing. I find it very interesting that the rounded point, as mentioned, was typically found on the Omani kattara, often found in trade centers such as Zanzibar and clearly its influence carried through trans Saharan trade.

TVV- I cannot say I have seen many, if actually any examples like this with metal hilts. While I am tempted to suggest it may have lost its leather covering, that would not explain the obviously intended decoration on the metal. The serpentine motif seems unusual as well.Perhaps it was applied for its talismanic symbolism alone rather than decorative, and was once covered with leather? Interesting example, and I would think still intended for native wear, probably refurbished, as is usual, but possibly done in less traditional manner because of the decoration applied. Maybe it seemed more appealing for sale to a tourist market, even though not specially made for it.

Tim- thank you for the excellent photos of the leatherwork on these mounts.
I think the geometric forms selected for protection from the evil eye are often a matter of personal preference rather than dictated style. It seems that with native application of markings, symbols or designs, especially those with talismanic meanings, the concept of repitition graduating the power of the symbolism is typical. The aesthetics of such motif gains popularity, even aside from its original intent as other craftsmen copy such work.

I'd like to know more about the concepts of the uses of copper/brass and iron/steel in hilt components also, and how these superstitions apply. What I have noted here is only overview from misc. notes and previous research. Perhaps other sources might have more data? Why are blacksmiths always treated as outcasts, yet they make the items most precious to the people.
Why are takouba points always rounded, and those of kaskaras pointed, yet these two sword forms have existed in parallel for hundreds of years without being assimilated by each other in form.
These are the questions I would like very much to find answers for .
Hopefully we can keep the discussion going and find them together!!

All the best,
Jim
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote