View Single Post
Old 20th January 2014, 01:05 PM   #116
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedH
Salaams Ibrahiim,

Thanks a trillion for your kind words!

So, the "Sayf Yamaani" was also used in diplomatic gifts? I mean the "war sword".

As for executions and other dismembering punishments (that could've involved the use of the sword), one needs to know the opinion of the Ibaadhi scholars regarding certain crimes and punishments. Also, whether these punishments were ever carried out, or were compensated by indemnities, jailing, flogging, or other forms of execution; like hanging. The date may start from 751 CE till 200 years ago. You see, there were many events and incidents one could read about, like: The punishment of high treason, kidnapping, desertion, etc. Also executing prisoners of war was known at that time. Yes, a single-edged sword; whether straight or curved, may have been the type of sword used in such occasions.

Please do not think I'm pushy or anything. I was just trying to broaden the spectrum of this..very important topic.

Also, please forgive my bias regarding the Sayf Yamani at the expense of the Omani dancing sword (this is clear in my obvious interest); for the fact is that I'm addicted to the Sayf Yamani;-)

Best regards,
Ahmed Helal Hussein
Salaams Ahmed ~I am sure that in its day the Omani Battle Sword was much admired and that it could well have been a gift item at high levels ...and thus presented although rarely so. It was so honoured by the Omanis that they gave it the Royal Hilt treatment...in about the mid 1800s.

I can well imagine how interested you are in this weapon and since it carries the local name of Sayf Yamaani the apparent clue to where it could have been made.

When I get a chance I will view the execution weapons if there any existing in the museums etc.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.