View Single Post
Old 19th January 2014, 04:45 PM   #114
Ibrahiim al Balooshi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AhmedH
Salaams Ibrahiim,

Thank you very much for this beautiful post containing very important information.

Another note you could add would be whether the Omani sword was used in executing certain punishment to criminals committing certain crimes, and how did these swords differ fro other war or dancing swords.

Another important thing could also be the use of the sword in diplomatic gifts: Which Omani swords were usually given as gifts; from the monarchs to their outstanding subordinates, and between the monarchs themselves (Omani and foreigner)?

Frankly, I find you an encyclopedia; not just in Omani swords, but also in swords of nations that have shores on the Persian Gulf and Indian Ocean.

Best regards,
Ahmed Helal Hussein

Salaams Ahmed; Thank you for your post and kind words but you are the maestro on Islamic Swords ...
The Dancing Sword is certainly the gift item..I think I have an example of that being presented at #1... There is another example at #29 on The Omani Shamshiirs http://www.vikingsword.com/vb/showth...8&page=1&pp=30 of an Omani Shamshiir going to the famous Stanley of Livingstone fame... and another of French provenance being presented on the same thread at #31

The Omani Dancing Sword, howver, is often the gift item at many differing levels in Oman these days...(since so many presentations are required there is a steady stream of new ones being made for that market..gilded, framed etc etc) and of course the Khanjar is a gift item as well... and again at all levels.

Execution swords...In the early 20s in Muscat they used a caged Lion to "recycle" second offenders for very serious crime. The lion lived in a cage inside the Fort Jelali prison walls and prisoners were chained to the outside for first offences ...hopefully the threat of being chained to the inside would deter them from recommitting the crime...but, apparently, not always ...

I have no evidence of a punishment sword but there must have been some ... perhaps the big heavy backbladed curved Kattara was used... I will find out.

Regards,
Ibrahiim al Balooshi.

Last edited by Ibrahiim al Balooshi; 19th January 2014 at 04:58 PM.