View Single Post
Old 22nd April 2018, 06:13 AM   #38
ausjulius

i becae obcessed with blowguns since i was about 4 years old seeing a documentary of how they were made and used by natives in ecudor

on blow guns in south east asia or that . area......
has anyone ever seen any papuan ones for sale... i have only ever seem them pictured in black and white images.. but some tribes there definitely used them some being very long with long darts being used. they appear to be made from spit hollowed out cane. like the south american ones.

i guess closer to home in a way blow guns are still used in southern france but only in competition.. looks like form texts and images in europe in the middle ages steel ones just like the ones still use din france were used for hunting and sport.
they came to europe from the middle east and their is definitely accounts of arabs using them in that time..
and from my understanding the arabs in turn got them from south east asia.
others like the japanese and the native tribes in the eastern USA seem to be local developments.

the reason i mention it is that looks like the malay people shave had a really strong love for the blow gun... eclipsing even bows and i suspect that they were common throught all malay groups in a common style untill guns really made them vanish and they just stayed on with the more isloated tribal peoples
ausjulius is offline   Reply With Quote