View Single Post
Old 9th February 2010, 07:39 PM   #8
spiral

What a lovely example Kurt!

Ive been trying to get a fellow kukri collector & friend to let me have his versian of one evry time I see his collection, One day he will swap for something!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANDOO
PERHAPS IF I RETURN TO THE MALDIVES AGAIN I CAN GET THE NAME IT IS KNOWN BY THERE.
This may help narrow down the name of these, but I hope your lucky enough to get back to the Maldives sometime!

Accodsing to Francois Pyrard works, Its most likely called a 'fiyohi' or more utility versions refered to as 'valhi',

From..

"The Voyage of Francois Pyrard of Laval to the East Indies, the Maldives, the Moluccas and Brazil" 1611.

Translated into English from the third French edition of 1619 and edited with notes by Albert Gray assisted by H.C.P. Bell - 1887.
.................................................. ...

"Knives"
"Ordinary Maldive waist knives, 'valhi', chastely inlaid with silver and mother-of-pearl, leave nothing to be desired in portability and serviceableness, whilst for shape and handsome finish the larger silver-mounted knife-dagger with ivory handle, 'fiyohi', worn exclusively by grandees and soldiers, is unique. Knife handles are carved from 'kuredhi' ironwood, 'endheri' black coral , and 'bodumas dhaiy' whale's teeth."
.................................................. ...........

Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote