Thread: War Dogs !!!
View Single Post
Old 27th January 2009, 09:41 PM   #8
Atlantia

'As the Lion is to the Cat, so the Mastiff is to the Dog'

Sorry if I recall that quote inaccurately.

When I think war dog (and I mean in a hiostorical dogs used way) I always think of the Mastiff.

There is an astonishing and allegedly true story about the origin of the English Bull Mastiff breed.
One of King Henrys nobelmen (Sir Peers Legh, I think) fighting with him at the battle of Agincourt took his (French) Mastiff with him.
It is said that he was unhorsed and seriously injured early in the battle and his Mastiff took it upon itself to defend him from all who approached. This included the English Knights and soldiers!
Apparently even groups of armoured French knights were kept at bay by this most devoted of dawgs.
He kept this up for several hours, only relinquishing his ward when after the battle he was approached by members of Legh's close retinue whom he recognised as friends.

Although his master eventually died of his wounds, the mastiffs many small wounds were not enough to finish him and he was returned home to England (apparently honoured by the King!) and became the 'father' of the English Mastiff breed.
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote