View Single Post
Old 28th May 2016, 01:39 PM   #19
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green
Here's a few more pics , sorry they are not v clear as they were taken under low light. The inside of the pendokok look dull with suasa tint but on rubbing it, yellow color quickly came out.

I don't see any silver but it could very well be gilded as this method of spraying golden layer on base metal is v often done on many malay pendokok... except that the pendokok look rather thin and does not look like a typical malay pendokok.

also, i can't put what type of blade this is. does not look typical malay blade..the aggressive abuse (?) of surface texture of the blade by the previous western (?) owner doesn't help. For it could have been previously warangan (which puts it to javanese type) or wasn't.
Green, in these latest photos the hilt cup doesn't look like suassa or gold at all. Looks a little copper-ish on the interior, but i would more likely suggest brass if pushed.
This keris looks like a Palembang (Sumatra) blade, which i believe was already established, so i would not classify it as a Malay blade nor expect the same treatment given to a Malay blade. The only "abuse" i see of this blade os that it needs a cleaning to remove the rust. If i am not mistaken, it would be expected that keris from this region would also receive warangan much the way a Javanese keris would. The surface texture does not look abused (aggressive or otherwise) to me, at least not that i can see in your photos. I would expect a keris from this region to have such a topographical surface as this. Of course, if you are unhappy with the condition of this keris please send it to me immediately and i will give its poor "damaged" self a good home.
David is offline   Reply With Quote