Thread: Kukri
View Single Post
Old 2nd February 2008, 05:49 PM   #26
Andreas Volk

Default Congratulations

Hello Tatyana!
Sorry to be late on this amazing piece with m congratulations. I think I remember that ebay listing as well (and before christmas I'm always tight on budget ).
I'd like to second spirals opinion that this of indian make - not nepelase - something I actually believe of most of the "armoury" kukris I came accross.

While the crescent moon is a national symbol of Nepal I doubt that this mark whenever it appears points to the Armoury of the Maharaja of Nepal.

So I still search for some pointers why it apperas on so many steel handled and the decorated horn handled pieces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiral
.... I couldnt date it accuratley, most steel handles seem late 19th to around 1925 in manufacture. The decoration of blade is older in style & quality, but skillful kami could copy older styles. But yes it could possibly be as early as 1850/60 i think.
Thanks a lot spiral; I'd also say that most of the (few) steel handled ones I handled are "arround 1900 or early 20th cent.) - but looking at the overall shape of this particular blade (slightly slimmer than those massive armouries, slight less shoulder and the curve inside the handle) I personally would think a post 1900 heritage very unlikely - otherwise this kami would have made a vry amazing "copy job".
If I recall correctly Inveterate owns an steel handled lamebendh with provenance that points to the Sepoy riots of 1857/58.
So my guess on this piece (and it is no more) would be 1860s to 1890s.

As I'm travelling at the moment I don't have my copy of Elgood's "Hindu Arms and Ritual" at hand - when back home I'll check what he has to say concerning the red paint.

Again - my congratulations on uncovering some kukri treasure. Thanks for sharing it with us !!

best regards

Andreas

Last edited by Andreas Volk; 2nd February 2008 at 05:49 PM. Reason: grammar
Andreas Volk is offline   Reply With Quote