View Single Post
Old 19th June 2019, 08:53 PM   #10
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahiim al Balooshi
I know one collector who just chucks it all in the cupboard!

Kinda like all my books, notes etc. in the RV (NO room for pointy things)….stuffed in every cabinet, drawer and open space.....they don't call it the BOOKMOBILE for nuthin'

Great and interesting entries here, and great topic Ian. I think as many of us are reaching uh, 'maturity' (?) OR NOT we do need to plan for the itemized handling of our precious ones to relieve the family of the enormous pressure.

I think the best method is basically to have each item catalogued by a number system, with a brief categoric description with estimated age and value (and appraisal dates parenthesized) .

Many items will have the 'comp' values but may have outstanding inherent value beyond that due to stellar provenance or rarity.

While condition of course dictates valuation by the numbers for appraisers, many exceptionally rare items (one of a set number known to exist etc) may be regarded as 'whatever market will bear'.

These need to be handled accordingly in an auction setting probably and with high reputation auctioneers or dealers.

While I have not collected in years, there are still some of my stalwart 'friends' left, and it would be so hard to place monetary value on them, as in 'collectors parlance', they're just ugly ducklings but historically priceless.

Whatever the case, and it will vary by each person, the main thing is that we are brought be think of this inevitability, and act accordingly.

Nicely placed topic Ian, thank you.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote