View Single Post
Old 12th February 2022, 06:02 PM   #5
kai

Quote:
Strange though how different people ( I mentioned those things because a local expert of the Keris Studiegroep ) make different assessments
Welcome to the world of the keris and the even weirder world of its aficionados!

Criteria for judging present highly moving targets, especially if you move from one community to the next...

There certainly is a difference between blades deemed low end but genuine/traditional vs "interesting" vs quality vs high-end though! (Real high-end blades are hardly ever seen in public and may cost more than a new Ferrari...)

This blade I'd place in the interesting category: It exhibits some unusual features like 3 fullers (if I interpret the pics correctly), some effort put into it (like the wavy gonjo and greneng), and also subpar features like the flat "ridges" and other base features. Some of the latter may be due to being worn down or possibly even overzealous cleaning attempts with abrasives. I see laminations which will most likely show up after warangan (the contrast might be low but I'd give it a try).

This blade does not seem to originate from Java - it seems to have a Malay feel and could well be from Sumatra.

Please share the hilt, too!

Regards,
Kai
kai is offline   Reply With Quote