View Single Post
Old 28th October 2022, 12:37 AM   #19
A. G. Maisey

Gustav, I know that you are an intelligent & cultured gentleman, and I do sometimes enjoy reading your opinions, however, the sort of discussion you & I are currently engaged in is the sort of discussion that I thought I had put behind me 60 or so years ago.

It is a discussion about trivialities.

In order to get paid for some of the work I engage in, I need to sometimes involve myself in this sort trivial exchange, but I am not being paid for my contributions to this forum, so I am not going to continue this discussion with you.

As I wrote:- no further discussion, so please just regard the following comments as remarks directed at the nearest wall:-

society in the fledgling country of Indonesia between the late 1930's and the fall of the Suharto regime deserves serious field study as well as reading the canned opinions of academics, if we wish to have some understanding of present day Indonesian society.

yes, pre-puputan Bali was not always ordered & settled, but conflicts between rulers were often settled by means other than extended physical conflict that deserves the name of "war".

yes, the keris had the nature of a weapon, it always did have, and it still has, but it was not, is not, a weapon of war, if it was not, is not a weapon of war, then it cannot be the weapon of a warrior.

soldiers and warriors are not necessarily one & the same thing, use of the word "warrior" automatically infers being engaged in war.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote