View Single Post
Old 27th October 2022, 11:00 PM   #15
A. G. Maisey

Agreed David, neither do I, I really do get a bit fedup with silly little debates that really contribute nothing, this sort of thing is far too close to what I have done for a living for more than 50 years and I do not find it relaxing.

However --- dictionaries, and "profession" or "occupation" or "job".

This is an English language forum.

When I get paid for what I have done for a living for most of my life, I need to use the English language.

When I use that language in a strictly Australian context I try to use the Australian form of the language.

When I am required to use the language in some vehicle which will travel beyond the borders of Australia I try, insofar as it is possible, to use what I have been taught is Standard English, and if I need to go to a dictionary, I use the Shorter Oxford English Dictionary on Historical Principles for general writing, and specific professional dictionaries when these are required.

If I'm talkin to me mates I use whichever jargon best suits the situation --- bush lingo with me cockie mates, accounting, audit, & legal jargon with my professional associates.

The word "warrior" can be used in many ways, we can find "keyboard warriors", "weekend warriors", we can find football teams that are some sort of warrior or other. When we get into colloquial usage there is no end to the warriors we can find.

But when I write in this forum, I try my best not to diverge into colloquial usage, and since what I write might be read by a person literate in English, but from a large variety of cultural & social backgrounds I do try to write in Standard English.

You have referred to a number of dictionaries, I checked what I wrote about warriors being those who have war as a profession --- meaning of course that they are paid for engaging in warfare --- I think I am writing in Standard English, so I used my normal Oxford dictionary OHP to check.

Here is a photo of the entry:-
Attached Images

A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote