View Single Post
Old 26th October 2022, 05:49 PM   #8
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey View Post
Yeah, sure, we have a K'satriya caste, the "knights" within the societal system, but even in past times, when these "knights" had a duty to protect their ruler and their fellow members of society, it seems to me that the Balinese idea of combat was more in the nature of theatre, rather than the ideas surrounding combat that we find in many societies in other parts of the world, for example in European societies.
I am a bit confused by this comment Alan. Surely the Balinese engaged in combat at times in their history. I would image this involved real warfare, not just theatre. I was not suggesting a warrior society per se, but i don't see anything too off base in referring to someone who engages in battle as a warrior. Though again, i don't believe the keris would have been considered regular weapon of war in these cases.
Jeff, i also cannot recommend Visible and Invisible Realms by Margaret J.Wiener more heartily. It is an excellent book to understand Bali and the place the keris held within that society.
David is offline   Reply With Quote