View Single Post
Old 22nd August 2012, 09:04 PM   #2
A Senefelder

This is the tasset for a set of 17th century 3/4 cuirassiers armour. The keysolts on the top were meant to engage with turning pins set in the flange at the bottom of the breast plate. The raised ridge alon the lower edge of each lame is unusual, acting as a series of little lis d'arrets ( which had been out of fashoin for a good 200 years at least ) is not something i've seen before. The buckles and thier manner of securing to leathers is somthing i've encountered in period and the buckles themselves don't look out of place. The number on the back is I believe a museum cataloging number. While it is of course a tough call to make from photos its possible this piece could be original. Your patina seems good, old and stabilized. The " round " washers may not be true round washers but individually cut washers that have been trimmed and filed round which i've owned and viewed higher end armour that has this rather than the more common square cut washers. You may have stumbled onto something good here.
A Senefelder is offline   Reply With Quote