View Single Post
Old 17th March 2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Tim Simmons

It is here and I have to say it is quite nice. It has excellent balance in the hand. Much better than the larger item in the earlier thread, which is 130 g heavier being 1.092 kg
It has good age but some damage to the grip which is a real shame. If one was of a mind too, this could be sorted in some way. I am adding some information only snippets but enlightening. The figure carvings are added to show contrast between the new and traditional styles. The postcard is circa 1910. Headhunting ended around 1900. The decline in value of traditional culture meant some decline in artworks and the development of others. No long relevant much traditional artwork, along with new tourist market productions was sold to help fund missions and other projects. All these pictures {basic I know but lets keep it simple} have come from " Melanesia Art and encounter, the British museum" The black and white diagram relates to the axe in the afore mentioned publication and my new club. Also the picture of a chief, perhaps small Solomon clubs are not all made for suitcases.
Attached Images

Last edited by Tim Simmons; 17th March 2014 at 07:47 PM.
Tim Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote