View Single Post
Old 10th November 2018, 06:15 PM   #1
xasterix

Talking Share your Pulahanes Talibong

This sword is hotly debated among my blade expert friends. Did it come from Central Cebu, or Eastern Visayas? Is there still a living traditional smith who can resurrect this blade from obscurity? How many variations are there?

These questions hound this blade, yet for me it's an awesome weapon, one that can dispose of even the thickest of water bottles very cleanly (I can just imagine what it can do one's limbs or head).

In the spirit of other past threads I've read here (Show us your Barung! Show us your Bangkung!, etc) I've thought of starting this thread to give some love to this particular talibong- which I've simply labeled as 'Pulahanes' in memory of those that wielded this particular weapon in my country during the 1900s.

To start it off, here's mine. I found it ignored and rusty in an antique shop without a scabbard (I had one built to accommodate it). Estimated by a blade expert-friend to be pre-WW2. 25-inch blade with heat treatment still intact, 7-inch hilt. Forward-weighted, gathers momentum pretty fast. Got three microcracks near the tip, and heavy patina at the 'action' portion of the blade. Once sharpened, cut like a beast.

Share your talibong/s as well!
Attached Images

xasterix is offline   Reply With Quote