View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2007, 10:06 PM   #22
A. G. Maisey

OK, I think I see where you're coming from, Pak Ganja:- you object very strongly to Woolley, and other writers of seventy years ago, harbouring the belief that keris sajen were representative of keris produced during the Majapahit era. Is this correct?

Yes, I think we can accept this as an outdated opinion, but it was just an opinion, and a generally held one at the time--- seventy years ago.

However, you have mentioned the pusakas held by the karatons in Surakarta and Yogyakarta. Pusakas that pre-date Majapahit.

May I most humbly suggest that prior to endorsing the validity of claims for the age of these pieces, a study of the history of the House of Mataram may be rather enlightening. Most especially , a focus on the early years of Mataram, through to the demise of Sultan Agung, and again on the Kartasura period.

Of great additional value would be an investigation of the social and economic conditions which influenced the Javanese elite during the period from about the middle of the 17th century, through to, probably, the Japanese occupation.

I am well aware that what I have touched on here is an extremely sensitive issue with most Javanese people, most particularly those Javanese people who have great pride in their culture. Because of this, I will not be drawn on this subject, but I do urge all true students of the keris to involve themselves in the lines of investigation that I have indicated.

As to the the movements of the Syailendras after they left Jawa, my feeling is that most authorities are still somewhat undecided about that. I'd have to check references before I would be brave enough to make any definitive statements, but I do not think that their authorship of Angkor Wat is necessarily a done deal.
A. G. Maisey is offline   Reply With Quote