View Single Post
Old 3rd August 2007, 05:57 PM   #20
ganjawulung

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenangsangII
Thank you Alan for the pictures of the sculptures. If you dont mind telling me the probablity that the sculptures were actually made by artisans imported from India, instead of the locals.

Even after WWII, many countries imported experts from abroad in making kingdom supported sculptures. A good example in Malaysia is the "Tugu Negara", built in memorium of the soldiers sacrifices in combatting the communist terrorists. However, since the artist was imported from the U.S., the sculptures of the Malaysian soldiers look more caucasians than southeastern statures.

In a way, I was thinking, maybe the keris like objects depicted in Borobudur and Prambanan temples were actually the Indian artists' definition of keris daggers existed during that periods, and actually were incorrect representation of how keris blades looked like.

Alan, I really like to hear you comment on this. Thank you in advance.

Penangsang
Would you mind if I add some info for you? If you go to Cambodge, don't forget to visit Angkor Watt -- the most famous temple there. Who built Angkor? He was Jayawarman II (Syailendra dynasty) from Java. The pressure of new power at that time, Sriwijaya, had made the great dynasty from Java scattered abroad. The Syailendra dynasty then dominated Malay penninsula (See "L'Art de l'Asie du Sud-Est" or The Art of South-east Asia by Philip Rawson 1995), and lanced attack until Tonkin. And in Cambodge Jayawarman II brought the Indonesian culture (790 CE), and built temple about 30 km from Angkor. Jayawarman reigned until 850 CE, succeded by his son Jayawarman III until 877...

Borobudur near Jogjakarta, was built by this great dynasty of Syailendra in the same century of Angkor...

Ganjawulung
ganjawulung is offline   Reply With Quote