View Single Post
Old 20th March 2013, 04:49 PM   #42
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you so much Ann. That sounds most interesting, and I would note that there are certain markings of earlier European origin which did implememt an undulating line and in many cases dots along the line. Clearly the suggestion would be the serpent, and many of these markings had significant religious meanings as well as use by makers and regions.

The wavy lines if I recall correctly do occur variously in native use throughout North Africa, and similarly of course suggest serpent representation in degree. Many very old European blades entered their sphere in some cases hundreds of years ago, and native makers often adopted the markings they saw into thier own symbolism and parlance.

Our member Ed Hunley did a wonderful treatise on sword and knife blades in Kassala in 1985, and many of these instances were shown.

Fascinating note Dave on the Aborigines. While I have always thought somewhat that nomadic and tribal peoples were able to travel throughout thier habitats with an instinctive sense rather than formal directions, it does seem in certain situations some blade markings have had remarkable potential as possible maps.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote