View Single Post
Old 19th July 2021, 01:10 AM   #14
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard R. View Post
I have searched for a comparable sabre grip on a French sabre, without success. Specially to note is that sabre hilt is distinguishingly formed as a lioness. This seems unusual, as otherwise lions (with manes) seem to be seen as pommels on sabre or sword hilts.

Am I correct in assuming that this mount and the decoration as well as the outline of the blade do not point to a British sabre? This even though sabre hilts with lion heads and serpents on the guard are known on English honour sabres for the beginning of the 19th century.

If we are talking about the Lloyds Patriotic Fund swords which were issued 1803-09 basically and most seem focused on Trafalgar, these have themes oriented around Greek mythology presumably meant allegorically.
I found an instance of a serpent, which was on the scabbard, and any of the lion heads were with mane, as the British lion in heraldic context. Another sword of 1804 had a serpent entwined on the knuckleguard, with the low relief lion head (presumably the Nemean lion) with flowing mane.

I consulted "Trafalgar Swords of Honor" , Derek Spalding, in "Arms & Armor Annual", Vol. I, 1973, pp.258-265/.

Also, "Trafalgar Tokens", Leslie Southwick, in "Royal Armouries", Vol. 2, #2, 2005, shows another sword with hilt having the lion head and entwined snake theme, again, lion with mane, and very low relief.

While these are of course suggestive that this sword might fall into this group of swords, which seem to have had a great deal of individuality, the other indicators of blade and of course the 'lioness' head still lead away from British. It would seem the British always favored the flowing mane.

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 19th July 2021 at 01:56 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote