View Single Post
Old 17th July 2021, 07:14 PM   #8
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard R. View Post
Thank you very much for your comments and assessments.

For my research, it is essential that this sabre is judged without consideration of the attributed historical context, respectively without preconception. For this reason, I will only show the outline of the blade in a first step. The blade length along the cutting edge measures approx. 80cm.

I am grateful for all further opinions and ideas.
This is a most interesting boundary for assessing the probable origin and period of a sword as the decoration and theme present in mounts are typically styled with various themes in mind. These are of course based on historic and traditional subjects, thus often give us the probable national context of the sword.

The blade of course can often be judged pragmatically in degree, as the designs and profiles have those kinds of considerations rather than style typically.
This is obviously a saber blade, cavalry (length) and the point most notable in what is known as a 'clipped point'. This type of point seems to have become popular in about mid 18th century, usually in Solingen made blades and its purpose seems to have been to afford better potential for a thrust..
While sabers are not typically regarded as a thrusting weapon, the arguments for cut vs. thrust were an ongoing debate, and the French were known for the deadly effect of their sword thrusts.

Napoleon actually instructed his cavalry to 'give point'. With the saber the thrust is used from a high tierce position downward. This is well illustrated in the 1968 movie "The Duelists' with the combatants mounted and charging at each other.

While this feature is well known on French and Continental sabers, it is seen on British 18th century swords in some degree, but by the Napoleonic period the sabers were leaning toward expanded point (yelman) and quill back blades while troopers sabers were hatchet point (M1796).

With that, based on the blade there is inclination toward French though as I mentioned these points were strongly Solingen. In this period, the sword works at Klingenthal had many Solingen workers, and Napoleon did take over Solingen itself.,
Jim McDougall is online now   Reply With Quote