View Single Post
Old 17th July 2021, 05:22 PM   #6
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by M ELEY View Post
Well, maybe I spoke too soon about a French connotation! Here is a British presentation sword heavily influenced by the Nile Campaign featuring a fine crocodile hilt, blued presentation fighting blade, etc. Still, my point being that the fighting in Egypt circa 1800 as well as the Barbary Wars affected sword design (U.S. forces also were influenced by exposure to ethnographic cultures around this time period, creating a mameluke style sword for the newly reformed U.S. Marine Corps). Based very loosely on my supposition, your sword could date c. 1800-30. Could we see a complete picture of the blade, as well as markings, designs? Length?

I very much agree with this being of this period and as you well note Capn, the campaigns in Egypt dramatically influenced military swords, with the well known mameluke sabers being a prime example.

'Oriental' fashion had already influenced European military styles since the mid 18th century, and the exotic flamboyance and appeal of the romantic 'flashing scimitar' were instantly appealing to the officers of both England and France. While England was a bit delayed in officially designating the mameluke hilt (1831), there were examples much earlier.
The French however, seem to have been far 'sooner out of the gate' with mameluke hilts and of the familiar French variance of artistic scope in mountings.

The neoclassic motif and zoomorphic representations on sword hilts, as shown here were characteristic already on officers sword hilts, but the Egyptian context added new themes, as seen by the 'Nile presentation swords' with crocodiles as shown.

As noted, in England the flowing mane was favored on lion heads (exceptions of course, but fewer) while in France, the leopard, well known in hussar fashion on the Continent seems more in accord with this hilt.

That is why I am inclined more to a French origin here, the snake, an artistic addition with certain allegorical connections classically also seems more a likely French affectation.

These hilts are difficult to classify as officers of course commissioned their own swords by artisans who also designed them independently to appeal to the competitive fashion atmosphere of this time.

I one had a British M1803 lionhead flank company officers saber, but instead of the flowing mane, the lion was given a stylized sphinx type style. I believe the 'pattern' was designated to a particular British unit, of which there were of course very few probably made.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote