Thread: Bosnian Bichaq
View Single Post
Old 7th June 2020, 10:59 AM   #37
gp

as there is quite a variety in these 1882-1916 Bichaqs, perhaps I can shed a little light and assist those of you who have one or more of these very nice bichaqs with regards to determination and comparison as there is on bichaqs in general but unfortunately virtually none literature on this type.
So a first kick off ;

next to info I already added in previous posts, the length can be betweenn 12 and 44 cm, where 12 cm is the "cutlery" type and the 44 cm more closer to the yataghan but lacks the typical yataghan characteristics. Hence I would prefer to call it an extended or long bichaq ( mostly receognized by a double "f" stamped on the blade).

Basicly the average Bosnian Bichaq during the K.u.K. era made has :

- a blade length of 18 cm ( +/- 1 cm)
- handle / hilt lenght of 9 cm (+/- 0,5 cm)
- a copper ferrule which can vary between 1,3 and 3,8 cm (!)

Blades are mostly marked with an "F" or blank. One of my collection has a cresent on the ferrule, which I believe to be a little cheeky with regards to the history of that symbol versus the Coat of Arms of Bosnia and Hercegewina...it not to be “ political” correct at that time as it would refer to a non occupying period or insurrection against the oppressor ( be it Habsburg or Ottoman).
Hence a wish or desire for freedom / independence.
Attached Images

Last edited by gp; 7th June 2020 at 01:51 PM.
gp is offline   Reply With Quote