View Single Post
Old 23rd August 2017, 01:36 AM   #8
shayde78

Thank you, everyone, for your insights.

To respond to a couple posts:

-Corrado, your collection is magnificent! Do you see any similarities between the guard and pommel on my piece, and the second example you posted?

-Bob, the hilt is not dissimilar to the examples corrado provided. The ergonomics are quite nice, actually. When it comes to a dagger like these, I'm not sure if they would be expected to be wielded covered in gore. These were not melee weapons (as far as I know). But to your point, the sweaty palms one would likely experience in a potentially lethal situation would make a sure grip desirable. A hilt shaped like this fits that bill.

-thinreadline, would authentic daggers in this style have had wrapped hilts? Corrado's examples seem not to.

-Ken, I think my tuition is being paid as I buy questionable items of dubious quality. too bad you all don't get a cut as my professors!

Finally, is the profile of the blade a clear giveaway? No fullers, no maker's mark, no ricasso, etc.

Oh, and the fact that there is no country of origin listed, does that suggest a 19th century date?

Once again, thanks for humoring my novice musings.
shayde78 is offline   Reply With Quote