Thread: my last keris
View Single Post
Old 25th April 2023, 06:50 PM   #74
David
Keris forum moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by milandro View Post
there is no doubt that that thread shows a similarly oriented kris as Marco's.

And Ganjawulung is in Jakarta so not an European intetpretation

We could postulate that this is " wrong" but if several people thought this was right then maybe is right.

I have looked it up and SOME Banyumas cengkrong keris, seem to conform to this " tradition", others don't. One thing is for sure, Marco is not alone in this.
Well, "no doubt"? I couldn't say. Because those photos do not show us what it looks like from the top of the wrongko. Usually these hilts are not fixed in place so the hilt could have quite easily been turned around for the photo of when the blade is in the sheath. Not saying this is what was done. Only that there is certainly a possibility for doubt until a revealing photograph can be shown.
Now if indeed this is another example of a blade that actually is mounted in reverse position in the sheath then that make TWO. Two examples like this in all my years of looking at keris and all of Alan's years of looking at keris and all of Detlef's years, etc. etc. So if indeed you did find one other example (and i still have not seen the photograph that will prove that), then we still have an anomaly working here. Something far outside the norm. If the intention is to show that this reversal of position in the sheath is the accepted norm for keris of this type i believe we are a long way from that being shown.
So my only question here is why? Not why was it done, by why is it so important to establish this as being within the norms of Javanese keris culture. For myself, i have always appreciated the occasional oddity. And i am afraid that for the time being this remains an oddity. If it was mine i would simply enjoy it.
David is offline   Reply With Quote