Thread: Sword Shipping
View Single Post
Old 3rd November 2009, 01:34 PM   #36
bluelake

South Korea (mentioned in the list) is a hard one to bring edged weapons into. It's not impossible, but you need special permits to do so legally. As shown in this newspaper article, the authorities in Korea are starting to get a little picky: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...117_48769.html

I had an experience with Korean customs several years ago that I now laugh about. I was bringing some antique arrows back to Korea for an archery museum here. When I picked up my luggage, I was stopped by customs and asked to open up the tube I had them in, which I did. Inside were many arrows, including a half-dozen antique (about 200 years old) bamboo arrows with razor sharp broadheads from India. The customs official touched the point with his finger and said, "This is a dangerous weapon; you can't have it." I assured him I could, and he argued the point with me. I even assured him I had Korean fletcher friends who could make even sharper ones for me; he said I was wrong. I further informed him that I've even had similar antique arrows mailed to me and they passed Korean customs. Nothing would convince this guy.

After a time, I asked him to please bring his manual with all the rules about what is and is not allowed. He said, "It's all in Korean," to which I replied, "That's o.k., I can read Korean." He was quite surprised, but brought the manual. Quickly, I found the pertinent section, which stated that traditional and Olympic archery equipment was exempt from the weapons restrictions.

He slammed the book shut, took it over to where a group of customs officials were and, a few minutes later, a different, young official came over and asked me what my job was. I informed him I taught in a Korean university. He then announced to me, "You are a professor. You are not dangerous. You may go."
bluelake is offline   Reply With Quote