View Single Post
Old 21st August 2008, 12:10 AM   #3
Klas Larsson

Quote:
Is it a 'Goose Quill' (yan mao) Dao?
I think this is a Willow Leaf style, liu ye dao, the reason being the early start of the curve on the blade. On a yan mao dao the curve would start closer to the tip, around 6 inch or so from the tip, and the blade would be straight all the way to that point, on a liu ye dao the curve would start close to the forte, and continue for all the blades length. Also, I have the impression that yan mao dao are the more common blade earlier in Qing, around Qian Long time, for military blades.
Quote:
So, here it is, I think this shape is military style?
It is, and for some reason they often have this coating, could be lacquer? Also the scabbard, over the ray skin cover, and it's fittings. Protects of course and no give away gleam of metal? I have seen examples that been polished and etched showing trace of a nice pattern and differential heating.
Quote:
Date? Boxer?
Yes, late Qing, maybe as early as from mid 19th, but that's me guessing.

I happened to post at the same time as RSWORD, and didn't see your post first, but editing a comment now, I think it is military, most dao like this that I have seen has been said to be. But I have no regulations or books to support that, more like hear-say
And maybe that this style is common, and very often found, with this precise look, can speak for it being mass produced like a military dao would be? Otherwise the variety of looks and styles are great in Chinese dao, but this one comes up often.

Last edited by Klas Larsson; 21st August 2008 at 12:27 AM.
Klas Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote