View Single Post
Old 20th March 2005, 02:39 PM   #22
spiral

Interesting veiws Tom, but heres some points I would like to raise for your perusal.

As to whether the term tired are appropriate, I understand your reservations but actualy the open grain found within some Japanese swords is normaly just how they were made, Etching of a japanese sword would be an act of pure vandalism . They are polished on fine stones not chemicaly etched.

As with all polishing it can reveal previously hidden blade flaws.

Kukri are tempered along the blade edge by pouring water on the hot blade.
This does actualy make a harder skin where the water is poured.
This can be worn, sharpend, or polished {read sanded!} off to revel the unhardend steel.

Hence my use of the term tired.

Many 1950sapparently "village sirupates" have actuly started out with fairly deep blades & have been used/sharpend untill they have the sirupate shape, this can usualy been noticed by the deeper belly that the scabard has, compared to the worn blade.

These worn out kukri are then often sold to western dealers as authentic antique kukri. {bieng English , I regard antiques as a minimum of 100 years old myself.}

I agree Stamped may not have been the best word, but some where between stamped & chiseled would perhaps be most descriptive, looking at the marks made? Engraved perhaps?

Thanks Simon, I am chuffed with this one. It is realy good to see your range developing in the way they have.

cheers,
Spiral
spiral is offline   Reply With Quote