View Single Post
Old 18th March 2005, 07:33 PM   #1
Conogre

Default Questions About a Curious Kukri

Not long ago I was able to pick up a little kukri at a ridiculously low price, thanks to a heads up from a fellow forum member (thanks again, Tom!) and the more I look at it the more curious it appears.
I have NO expertese with these at all, probably because of my heavy exposure to the tourist pieces encountered by the hundreds in SE Asia in the late 1960's, a case of familiarity breeding contempt, or at least indifference, thus losing all "exotic" appeal.
This little knife, however, has piqued my curiosity all over again and since I know that there are a couple of experts here I thought I'd ask a few questions and hope for some enlightenment.
I believe it's what they call the "hanshee" style (?) with the relatively thin, willowy blade as opposed to the heavier stereotype that commonly comes to mind, running 16" OA and with a 12 1/2" blade.
The overall feel of the knife and scabbard both, to me, is that it's got some age to it and that it's a user knife all the way, yet there are several points that seem to contradict this, such as no fuller in the blade and an unusual pattern where a fuller would normally be expected.
The sheath is a dark brown lightly tooled leather with buttons, the two mini-sheaths or pockets expected for the two side knives (only one is present, thick, completely squared off on the sides..a sharpener or striker?) and a third pocket with a flap that folds over it (for a whetstone?).
The handle is plain hardwood with a pattern very much like the one incised in the blade spine about midway in a band around the hilt, with no exposed tang showing at all and likewise, with no metal "buttplate" as I've seen on many.
There doesn't appear to have ever been a "toe" on the scabbard, with a small portion rounded and worn away, aparently from normal use.
The blade is in fair shape with moderate pitting at the tip and a couple of small nicks, but I get the impression that the knife was well used but also very well cared for during and after its normal "life".
I'm sure that I skipped over may pertinent points, but, as I said, I've never paid particualr attention to kukris in general...what really suprises me is that I'm usually attracted to large, cleaver-type knives and swords and this kukri seems to be smaller and lighter than many to most yet feels perfect in the hand, as if it's trying to "talk to me" if you know what I mean (and NO, not verbally!! **grin**)
Anything that you can tell me about this little piece would be truly appreciated.
Mike
Attached Images

Conogre is offline   Reply With Quote