View Single Post
Old 9th March 2021, 05:17 PM   #72
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Thank you Fernando, good observation on the open fronts of these 'vests', and I agree that the frontal area was probably considered protected by the shields, which from examples I have seen were rather elongated and vertical in most cases.
It is curious to imagine these kinds of armor defense and how the agility of the warrior might have been impaired. Without really knowing the warfare tactics and techniques of these tribes it is hard to say.

While not wishing to belabor the 'cult' probability of our discussion armor, I have continued researching that aspect, and wanted to share some findings and observations. I realize that this aspect of subject matter may be somewhat objectionable to many, so I try to keep details objective and somewhat redacted. Tribal practices in many of these regions in West Africa have never been a 'pretty picture' from western perceptions, and the activities of colonial incursion certainly were notably aggravating as well.

To the use of the iron cuirass mounting affiixed to the apparently much older crocodile hide, I had suggested earlier perhaps it was for added defense from bullets in the now advanced circumstances with firearms. The question was how effective would this iron be, as it seems the weight was quite light.

I wanted to add for comparison, the iron armor used by the Australian outlaw Ned Kelly, which was fashioned from plough molds and apparantly 'bush forged' (rather than by professional blacksmith). This meant that this was done in pieces with some parts heated and bent over green trunks, and riveted together. The iron was 1/4" thick.
It was cumbersome and heavy (97 lbs) and while it repelled bullets successfully, it did not prevent blunt force type injuries from the impacted metal.

This comparison (while Kelly's armor was of course more elaborate) would support that the iron addition to the crocodile hide in our discussion piece was not likely for bullet proofing.

Returning to the cult regalia concept, in earlier times, there were a number of 'societies' which were basically warrior groups and politico-social organizations. One of the most notorious were the 'leopard hunter group.
While much of the activity had focused on the superstitions and traditions of the folk religions and magic and metaphysical beliefs, by about the 1870s, more nefarious dynamics had perpetuated into off shoot groups, one of which was the 'Neegee' cult (neegee, Bassa word =crocdile) . The leopard hunters had devolved into the leopard men cult.
To the traditional societies, these cults were evil and feared.

The belief in magic was profound, and it was believed that certain persons were shape shifters who were able to change into certain formidable animals, such as the leopard and the crocodile. ...and that these persons would lie in wait in the wilds and mimick the character and killing style of the chosen animal in attacking their victims.

With the leopard cult the member would wear a leopard mask, drape themselves in leopard skins and use wicked claws fashioned of steel, even steel toothed mouthpieces.

While the apparel/ regalia of the leopard men is described, that of the apparently more secret and more despised crocodile group , I have not found such detail.

It would seem that these 'crocodile' men would also follow this pattern, but the crocodile hide itself would be cumbersome, even without the iron cladding, so would seem impractical for these nocturnal 'hunts.
It would seem more likely that perhaps this item may have been for a priest or official in less dynamic circumstances such as ritual or meetings.
Attached Images

Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote