View Single Post
Old 22nd February 2010, 07:46 PM   #3
celtan

Hi Jim,

Yes, I agree with you, it was the only one found even remotely similar to our piece, but it has a leather and wood traditional grip, and the knuckle guard is differently designed.

OTOH, ours has a shorter blade, perhaps 10" less than the regular m1840. It is substantial, and yet comparatively dainty to the regular m1840. Our scabbard is black leather, with two supporting brass bands / rings.

A militia connotation? Irish Unit? I read in Bezdek that W.H. Horstmann did accept private orders, and that they got to make the swords themselves in their PA factory.

Best-est

M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McDougall
Hi Manolo,
As always you come up with some beautiful examples, and while I defer to the expertise of Dmitry and Glen on these U.S. swords, I just wanted to say it certainly looks like Peterson #108 to me. I know you've already checked this and I dont have Bezdek, but Peterson notes on p.119 that in the ordnance manuals of 1841 and 1850 the mounted artillery officers were to wear the same sabres as the enlisted troops of the light horse artillery M1840, but with ornamental gilt mountings.

This example surely seems much more ornate than most Civil War period officers sabres I've seen, especially with as you note, the hilt entirely cast.
The blade is if course from the well known Horstmann & Sons house in Philadelphia, the military outfitters who were in business long after the war.

While the simple stirrup hilt pattern of the M1840 light artillery sabres were known in both North and South, you're right, I doubt if the South had Philadelphia blades!!

Nice sword, looking forward to Dmitry and Glens comments as always as they have stockpiled treasure troves of key notes on U.S. swords.

All the best,
Jim
celtan is offline   Reply With Quote