Thread: Manrikigusari?
View Single Post
Old 25th May 2007, 02:14 AM   #6
CourseEight

Thanks for the responses!

Quote:
I have a very similar set that is definitely antique. It is a Chinese chain whip, usually about the length from the center of the chest to the hand. Modern ones are usually about double that length or longer.

That said, mine has a differently constructed chain with swiveling links that are riveted closed. I also would like to know what the chain whip is made from, mine is all steel but this one looks like brass. However, that just might be the photo. The weights look almost exactly like mine and two other sets I have seen for sale, one from a reputable dealer that was expensive. I have also seen a set from a dubious dealer with genuine weights and a replacement chain. From the same dealer I saw one that was all genuine but the chain had been shortened. So the chain may be questionable but the weights are almost definitely genuine. They come from a recognizable type that is not common but that does come up fairly often and shows no signs of being counterfeited. If you got them for =<$100 you got a good deal.

Be careful practicing with them, they are deadly and the chain might not hold.
Thanks for the reply Josh! I'm so happy to hear that it is genuine! I thought China at first, but the only chain weapons I could find were kau sin ke, like this. There were several notable differences in strucure which let me to the Japanese manriki. Do you know of a book or article where I can learn more about them? Or do they fuction like a manriki, but are the Chinese equivalent? For that matter, which do you think came first?

The links are indeed iron, not brass. The coloration in the picture is due to some rust I haven't been able to get out of the crevices of the links.
The length of mine in about 42", so its a little long for me, but would be fine on someone taller. Happy to say I'm not going to be twirling them about much, even if the chain diid look stronger. They do seem stronger than they look, actually, since I can't pull them apart with my hands, or by pulling with all my force on each end of the chain.

Happy to say it was less than half of a hundred, so a good deal it is! Thanks so much for the info.

Quote:
What is on those little metal tags on the rings of the weights? Are they decorated figures of some sort? I have not seen those tags before but they look like the kind of thing that could fall off easily as they are attached to the un-riveted rings on the weights. Some examples I have seen had one, two or no rings on each weight. Mine has the same rings but no tags. I always thought the rings were there to make a nice jingly sound, and the tags would help.
Indeed they jingle quite a bit. The sound is lind of like you hear on saddles, actually. The shape could be the outline of a Chinese character, but I know nothing of the language or symbology. Given the unriveted ring, it could have been added later just as well, who knows.

Quote:
THE LINK SHAPE IS DECORATIVE BUT IT MAY HAVE ALSO HAVE HAD A FUNCTION OF CATCHING AND STOPPING A BLADE BETTER.
This is an interesting point, Vandoo. The links have more of a tendency to "catch" on one another than a standard chain would, creating little "knots" that shake straight. It is certainly possible that this could aid in parrying or whathaveyou.

Now that I know it is real, on display with the good stuff it goes!

--Radleigh
CourseEight is offline   Reply With Quote