View Single Post
Old 4th March 2014, 06:26 AM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E Farrell
Fernando, what book is that image from? I'm trying to find a good reference for one of those marks.
If I may take the liberty of responding Fernando, I just wanted to make some comments on the running wolf marks.
This page is from "Cut and Thrust Weapons" Eduard Wagner, 1967, Prague.

I would note that this assemblage of variations of these familiar marks often regarded as the 'running wolf of Passau' is somewhat misleading as the labeling of centuries under them implies some kind of chronology of development. Actually these usually chiseled markings were widely copied outside Passau in other centers, particularly Solingen, and were mostly interpretations of that theme. These were typically notably varied as applied by various shops, makers and not particularly consistant, though the stylized images usually had primarily the same running stance. By the middle of the 17th century, the use of the running wolf had pretty much ceased in Germany, however it remained in use by some German smiths in England (Shotley Bridge). It ceased there at the end of that venture and resumed in mid 18th by Samuel Harvey in England (bearing his initials) ending by about 1770s or 80s.

The running wolf mark was copied by Chechen swordsmiths in the Caucusus probably from imported blades, perhaps Styrian or from Germany becoming known by mid 19th century as 'ters maymal' blades (actual meaning of the term somewhat unclear).
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote