View Single Post
Old 5th July 2008, 11:22 PM   #16
Atlantia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
Once you handle a few of these Indo Persian Turkish Afghan whatever you see that all that gunk under the crossguard is never found on original hilting. Not saying it wasnt used in battle just hard to tell. Almost never see wood grips on this type sword and the guard has defiantly had 3 out of 4 langet cut off. Also these swords were used until at least WWII in some parts of the world so yes probably put together like this for use just not how originally done. Im just saying you dont want to rely on this as typical period example. Looks like epoxy around the guard hard to tell from pics. Are you near musuems you can examine some older ones and compare. What is length of blade in a straight line?

Ward
LoL, epoxy! don't be mean ;-)

The brownish crud under the guard is of the same or similar organic softish resin that all Tulwars have filling the handles. The stuff that the Afghans use to fit just about everything together with.
Definately not any kind of two part epoxy or modern resin or filler.

I know the guard looks like three have been cut off (as per the usual form), but I've seen others without the upper two (on the handle side), and I did have (from old ebay auctions a long while ago) printouts of similar swords with one of the blade side ones removed or absent. Which is why I wondered if it was a deliberate ommission or removal?
Right, size.....
From the top edge of the blade where it meets the guard, in a straight line across the curve to the tip of the blade is 69.5cm (27 1/4 inches in old money)
If you follow the curve, the blade length is 72cm which is just under 28 1/2 "

Thanks Ward

Cheers
Gene
Atlantia is offline   Reply With Quote