View Single Post
Old 28th November 2007, 05:18 PM   #9
Jim McDougall
Arms Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by katana
Thank you Battara for your opinion

Would anyone know how 17thC Rapier blades were marked ?
When searching 'Firangi' I found an example that was cited as Moghul, the blade was the 'broadsword' type but the hilt had similar features including the 'line' detail on the knuckle guard. Could this be Moghul ?

I am also interested in how this sword would have been used. Do you think the sword technique would be similar to European Rapier use? I wonder whether the wide pommel would limit the wrist action/movement often used to control a rapier. Would a 'main gauche' or small buckler be used in tandem with this sword ?

Regards David
Hi David,

I'm very glad you asked this question!!!!!
There happens to be a concurrent thread titled EARLY MAKERS TRADE MARKINGS which we have had open for some time now. The purpose of that thread has been to develop a resource which talks about the many blade markings and inscriptions found on trade early trade blades, which indeed often included rapier blades as your example clearly illustrates.

I have trying to convince the forum that the markings found on European trade blades is an important topic in the study of ethnographic swords and edged weapons, unfortunately the overall interest has seemed less than resounding. I am extremely grateful to the members who have actively participated in the thread thus far, and they have already developed the thread comprehensively as a resource that gives us excellent material on these markings.

What is very exciting about your firangi, which is obviously in original state as mounted, proves that not only were early European blades mounted in swords in India, but more importantly, the thin rapier blades were as well. The questions you have so astutely asked are exactly in line with my contention on the markings thread

We have discussed many times over the years, whether European swordfighting techniques actually influenced Indian swordsmen, or whether they simply used the blades to mount in the swords without particular concerns on the key movements applying to the blade or sword forms. One of the great conundrums has been whether the forefinger was scrolled over the quillon to grip the hilt, as often seen in use of 17th Italian and Spanish rapiers.

I hope you and other readers will visit the thread on markings, and I think you will find many important answers on the markings and inscriptions found on these blades. Using the search will reveal some of the various discussions concerning the swordfighting techniques.

Thank you for posting this important example David, and especially for addressing the key questions associated with these weapons!

All very best regards,
Jim

Last edited by Jim McDougall; 29th November 2007 at 04:30 AM.
Jim McDougall is offline   Reply With Quote