View Single Post
Old 19th August 2019, 12:07 PM   #9
kronckew

Have a look at mine HERE

grip looks too clean, almost plasticy, like modern faux rayskin ones. It also looks a bit bulgy and uneven, ill fitting. Mine looks well used, have not tried to clean it. Your back-strap and lion also look almost like replacements as noted above. Scabbard fittings scroll work gets progressively fancier from junior to senior then flag ranks as the rank increases and is part of the madatory 1827 pattern, yours is slighly off pattern. Also see mine for info on the sword knot. The proof 'star' area around the brass slug looks rather crudely etched, mine is very precise and the surround is perfectly straight lines and square, and a bit more worn. The scroll on the brass guard next to the anchor on mine has a stepped up central rib, not flat all the way between the stippling. Mine has a few more lines by the folding guard and the knot holes are a bit narrower. I think yours fit the modern thicker knots better, mine was an SOB to get the new knot thru the holes. The bit of the guard that fits in the lions mouth and the lower part of the lion's mouth area appear off as well - where's his lower jaw?. Could just be a less fastidious UK maker then tho.

Before 1929 blades they were wider fighting blades that became smaller after, and are smaller still now. the 1846 ones were an eight inch narrower than the 1827 version (as is mine, the post 1929 one being quite a bit narrower still. about a half inch less if I recall.)The reference I have mentioned lists the width details, mine is packed away & can't get to it at the moment.

Last edited by kronckew; 19th August 2019 at 12:33 PM.
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote