View Single Post
Old 23rd March 2019, 10:21 PM   #14
Sajen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A. G. Maisey
If I sell a keris to somebody, it takes me about 45 minutes to pack it, it takes more time to fill in the Customs forms, then take it to the Post Office. If somebody insists on a courier service, it takes even longer. Then there is the cost of packing material. To obtain packing material takes time and vehicle use. There is a very big time element in sending items from one place to another, and trying to ensure that they get there safely. Then, of course we have administration time and overheads.

My professional background is audit, with a foundation of accountancy. If I were advising a client engaged in selling, packing and shipping individual items, all of varying sizes, shapes,value and fragility, my feeling is that I would probably come close to a similar level of cost to customer for provision of this service, as do most auction houses.

If an employee is concerned in any operation, the employer needs to make a profit from that employee's time, or there is no sense in running the business.
Hello Alan,

I sell as well, in my case by ebay. I have it easy with the packing material, I get it for free by my job. But you are correct, packing & shipping need time and also money for sure. In my case I have often minus or just back my money for shipping since ebay take from sellers also fees on shipping cost.
I wouln't have been angry when they would have taken half of the asked price which is still high because I understand the from you stated facts but the asked price is for sure much to high, there is for example no shipping insurance included nor the custom tax. The asked price is simple rip-off and far away from serious.

Regards,
Detlef
Sajen is offline   Reply With Quote