View Single Post
Old 24th September 2013, 09:03 PM   #1
dana_w

Default What is the earliest contemporary description or illustration of a blunderbuss

I am looking for the earliest contemporary description or illustration of a blunderbuss like weapon in England. According to Merriam-Webster (AKA Britannica) the first known use of the term blunderbuss was in 1654.

The blunderbuss with its short barrel, large expanding bore, and flared bell shaped muzzle, is one of the most recognized antique weapons in the United States. It has long been associated with the Plymouth Colony founded by the English Separatists (Pilgrims) in 1620. Even though Pilgrims are often pictured with a blunderbuss, most researchers agree that it is highly unlikely that they had them. There are however many examples of early firearms with flared muzzles.

The earliest description I've found is said to be from Sir James Turner in 1670:

"The Carabineers carry their Carabines on Bandileers of leather about their neck, a far easier way than long ago, when they hung them at their saddles. Some instead of Carbines carry Blunderbusses, which are short Hand-guns of great bore, wherein they may put several Pistol or Carabine balls, or small slugs of iron. I do believe the word is corrupted, for I guess it is a German term, and should be Donnerbuchs, and that is Thundering Guns." (By Hand-gun, he is referring to an individual weapon, not a crew-served piece such as a cannon.)

Attached are some photos of the earliest blunderbuss I own. It was made in the late 17th or early 18th century. Brass barreled blunderbusses like this one, were usually made for naval use. Note the ring attached to the stock. Sailors often needed to tether their weapons so that they wouldn't lose them in high seas, when boarding, or when climbing. Note the dog lock style safety.

The barrel is by John Sibley, and the lock by Francis Smart. Both Sibley and Smart made weapons under contract to Ordnance (Royal Navy / Sea Service) as well as the Hudson's Bay Company and the Royal African Company.

I've posted a few more blunderbusses at my google plus site:
https://plus.google.com/113925773621267228721/posts
Attached Images

Last edited by dana_w; 25th September 2013 at 03:34 PM.
dana_w is offline   Reply With Quote